Sunday, 20 May 2012

A message for my girls

Since having the monkey feminism has been on my mind a lot, particularly in terms of what I want them grow up believing about the role of women.

I'm a 24 year old married stay at home mum, I didn't go to uni and I don't have many formal qualifications, although I do hope to change that one day. I gave up a career I enjoyed and moved 100 miles away from family and friends to be with the husband. Many feminists would be outraged and say I'm a disgrace for 'living off a man', I should have kept my career and insisted he move to be with me (despite his earning potential being 10 times greater than mine).

Yet surprisingly I consider myself a feminist.

I believe in the traditional feminist values of equality. Man is not greater than woman, but to that I would tack on women are no greater than men.

I don't believe going to uni and having a high powered career is the only way to be an example to my daughters. I believe being in a relationship where each partner has an equal say, equal responsibilities and equal rights is one of the greatest examples you can give rather than one where a woman is bullied and pushed around.

I believe in a woman's right to choose. If, for example, a woman chooses to wear high heals and make up, then that is her right and she should be allowed. If a woman is forced to wear make up and high heals because a man wants her to, then that is wrong. If a woman wants to stay at home and raise the children, and circumstances allow then she should (as a side note I also believe if a man wants to stay at home to raise the children and circumstances allow then equally he should). I don't believe a woman should be forced to stay at home because 'its a woman's job'.

I want my girls to grow up in a world of equality where they can choose to wear pink or blue or red or white, where they can play with dolls or cars or dress up as a police officer or princess with out being judged by extreme feminists or non feminists alike.

So to my girls I say recognise how important a woman's role in society is. Don't let anyone put you down because of your gender, choose what you want in life and go for it. Don't let anyone tell you you can't, you can do anything you put your mind to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...