Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Bedtime battles and special moments


Some nights, as bed time draws near the monster decides she is just not tired. she could be falling asleep on the sofa just moments before I announce its time to brush teeth, get pj's on and read a story ready for bed, and she will decide in that moment she is NOT going to sleep.

The battles that ensue on those nights can last for hours, I console myself with the thought at least she isn't a pushover!

Tonight is one of those nights, I thought it might have been at 5pm when the monster announced she didn't want to go to bed tonight and instead she wanted to stay up with me. I had plans tonight, plans that involved cleaning and ironing. I've neglected my house recently as I haven't been feeling the best, but I'd planned to tackle 1 room then sit and do some ironing. This would best be done with out a toddler in and out of bed for 3 hours and keeping her sister up.

I decided to have a change of tactic. I just don't have the energy to deal with the tantrums tonight so, I thought I'd put the monkey to bed, let the monster stay up and help me clean and tidy then she might get bored and decide she would rather be asleep after all!

After I put the monkey to bed I ushered her in my room and started tidying. The monster walked over to my drawers pointed to my cream leather jewellery box and asked what it was, she got it down, made her self comfortable on the bed and opened it.

To most people the jewellery that is in there looks like tat, its inexpensive stuff that has no real monetary value, but every piece in the box has a lot of sentimental value, its full of memories and stories.

I sat next to her on the bed as she took each piece out very carefully and asked what it was and why I had it. It was really nice to be able to talk to her about all the different pieces that were in there and explain why each piece was special to me.

What I was expecting to be a really difficult and stressful evening turned out to be quite a special one where I was able to share lots of memories with my baby girl. Its in these special moments I realise just how much I love my little family.

Now all I have to do is convince her to go to bed!

Join me over on Facebook to get the latest posts and updates on our family life

3 comments:

  1. Aww, that's so lovely. It;s so nice when things go so much better than planned. I wish my girl would take some advice from yours though, rather than ask about my jewellery, she likes to hide it from me! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, princess is such a cutie, but please don't go giving the monster ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww i am so so pleased your night turned into such a special one of sharing your memories with the Monster. So lovely to have you linked up with #magicmoments x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...