Friday, 5 July 2013

Friday Treat, Hot Chocolate Cupcakes


On a cold winters day don't you just love hot chocolate loaded with marshmallows and a Flake to warm you up? In this house, its the perfect treat. 

While I was browsing Pinterest recently, I came across Jenny from Mummy Mishaps pin for hot chocolate cupcakes, I just had to click through to find out how she'd made them, and last weekend I had the perfect opportunity to try out the recipe when I invited my parents over for dinner.

They were a huge hit, with everyone liking them, I had to change Jenny's recipe ever so slightly because I didn't have all the right ingredients and I also doubled her recipe.

For the cakes You will need,
200g self raising flour
200g sugar
200g butter
4 eggs
120ml for boiling water
14 tbsp of drinking chocolate (I used the cheap Sainsbury's basic, If you were using Cadbury drinking chocolate for example use milk instead of water and less as its thicker)

Boil the water and slowly add the drinking chocolate until all the powder is dissolved and a thick liquid is left.

Next cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add in the eggs 1 at a time with a spoonful of flour to stop the batter curdling.

Finally fold in the remaining flour then add the thick chocolate mixture and fold until all combined.

Spoon the mixture in to the cases, cases should be around 3/4 full. I like to use an ice-cream scoop to make sure all cupcakes are the same size, 1 scoop is the right size for a muffin case.

Pop in a preheated oven for 20 minutes and then leave to cool.

For the icing you will need
200g of Drinking chocolate
200g of Icing sugar
A few tea spoons of water
Marshmallows and a flake for decoration


Mix the icing sugar and Drinking chocolate and slowly add the water 1 tsp at a time until you have a thick icing. When the cakes are cooled spread the icing over each cake, artfully throw some marshmallows at them and stick in a flake.


I was so pleased with how these turned out, without a doubt I will need to go back to Jenny's blog to try out some more of her recipes, just look at these chocolate orange cupcakes and gorgeous Ferrero Rocher cake!

2 comments:

  1. sorry i am late coming over here!!! these look great Leoni and i am not surprised they were hit with your guests! who doesnt like a chocolate cake?! thanks for my mentions x x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...