Sunday, 16 February 2014

Mobile Phones

When Adam and I went to Disneyland a few weeks ago, we made the decision to leave our mobiles in the hotel. We had them with us for emergencies, but as we were together with our immediate family there was no one we needed to contact.

We had both left work behind for a week and agreed there would be no social media. The plan was to spend time together as a family, giving our girls 100% of our attention, something that has become quite difficult in an age of screens and social media. Sometimes it can feel like we are never switched off and away from the world, so this was going to be a much needed break for us all.

It really was great just to be in the moment with my children and my husband, noticing all the little things that can be missed on a day to day basis. Like the first look of wonder and the tiny little barely audible 'wow' that escapes their lips as they see the Disney castle for the first time, or the complete joy as they meet the people they love the most from the films that they watch. It was an amazing experience and I am so glad The Husband and I, in particular, made the decision to be in the moment with our children rather than getting bogged down Tweeting, Facebooking, Instagramming and checking emails etc.

The only downside to not having our phones on us all the time was not being able to phone each other when we did split up. Suddenly we were thrust into the dark ages of saying 'I'll meet you here at x time', then waiting around not knowing if something was wrong, trying not to let my brain go into overdrive as it imagined the worst scenario possible, wondering if we should stay put and wait or try and find the other person. It was at these times I really missed having a phone, just so I could call and check that everything was ok.

I found it very interesting to find out, it wasn't the Social Media side of things I missed most about not having my phone, but it was in fact the reason phones were invented for, making actual calls! This week I am grateful for having a mobile phone, just to be able to make calls to the people I love the most.

MAD Blog Awards


Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...