Friday, 7 March 2014

Friday Treat

Yes I am a week late for my Friday Treat, but I'm pregnant! (What's that got to do with it? Well, nothing actually, but its the excuse I'm using and are you really going to argue with a heavily pregnant woman? Thought not.)

February went by in such a flash, we've been so busy, but I still managed to squeeze in 2 cakes, the first was Baby Girls birthday cake.


The cake was designed by her, she told me exactly what she wanted, (number 2, flowers, green and Eeyore) and where everything should be. I literally just kept drawing until she told me it was right! It's a far cry from the funky dinosaur cake or intricate princess cake I wanted to make her, but she loved it and, as it was her birthday, that is what is most important!

As I don't have any number tins and couldn't get hold of one in time, I made the 2 shape using an 8" round and an 8" square. Cutting a hole in the centre of the round cake and cutting 1/8th ish away then adding a small 7 shape made from the square. I covered it in butter cream and green fondant. I was really pleased with how this turned out, numbers are tricky to cover as there are lots of nooks and crannies you cant smooth over and in some places the fondant needs to go in 2 directions at the same time, but it all worked out and I was really pleased with it.


The second cake I did was for the Relief Society Birthday party at church. I'll let you in on a secret, this cake has 2 dummy layers, the cake in the top and bottom tiers are actually polystyrene, Its a great cheep way of making a stunning cake when not a lot of actual cake is wanted! I had a lot of fun making this one and the piped royal icing was done using a technique I pinned from Pinterest months and months ago. Using baking paper, glass and the freezer I was able to pipe out the logo I wanted set it quickly then place it on top of the cake. I did have a few problems with it, and you can see its not perfect, unfortunately I didn't work quickly enough and the transfer started to defrost before I was ready. I didn't have time to redo the top layer and was gutted I didn't get it right, however it was the first time I've used this technique and know exactly how to make it perfect next time! On the whole I am pleased with it.

I have nothing planned in the diary for March, April or May as I'm busy having a baby somewhere around then, but I'm hoping I'll be able to knock something small up for my Friday Treat feature.

MAD Blog Awards

Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram
| Pinterest | Twitter

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...