Monday, 30 June 2014

Blowing away the cobwebs with a run


In my late teens I would head off to our local country park Ashton Court and run around the grounds, I wasn't very good at running and I was by no means quick, but I enjoyed it. It was a chance to clear my head and just think. When The Husband and I moved to Dudley in the West Midlands, I didn't know of a quiet, friendly park to run around, we lived on top of a hill, on a busy road, so there was no way I was going running there! I got out of the habit of running and by the time we moved to Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire it just wasn't something I did any more.

After Baby Girl was born I decided it was time to get back in shape, I'd had 2 children in quick succession and it had taken a toll on my body both mentally and physically. I started running but I didnt enjoy it, I found each run difficult and struggled to get into it, then shortly after I started the couch 2 5K programme, my CFS flared up and I crashed. I desperately wanted to get back out and enjoy it again, but I just didn't have the energy.

Then, earlier in the week, a new friend, Emma from the blog Outmumbered, said she was going to be doing the colour run in Belfast. When I read that I found myself feeling a pang of jealously, and in that moment I realised it was time to get my running shoes back on! I figured maybe in a couple of months when Pop i a little bit older, I would get out again but as I was walking through Asda on Saturday afternoon, I spotted their new work out gear. Again I felt the pull to get out and run so in the spur of the moment (I'm all about spur of the moment decisions right now!) decided I was going to go running that evening! 

I got home, got the girls and Pop ready and we headed over to Sand Bay. Big Girl had a scooter, Baby girl decided she wanted to run with mummy, Pop was in his pushchair and The Husband on his bike. I did a gentle 15 minute jog whilst I watched the girls run and sccot ahead of me and the memories came flooding back. I remembered how much I used to love running, how much I would look forward to getting out before or after a shift at work and in that moment I fell in love with it all over again.

I'm really hoping to get out a couple of times a week with the girls on their scooters, starting the couch to 5k programme again, I'm hoping the girls will keep me going and as sand bay is such a beautiful place to run I'm actually looking forward to it.

All about U

Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...