Thursday, 7 August 2014

Butlins Bognor Regis, A Review

For the first 10 years of my life, every year my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, Parents and Siblings would head to Butlins in Bognor Regis. I have incredible memories of flying kites on the beach with my Uncle Tony, watching shows in the evenings with my Aunts and going to the disco after with all the older Cousins. We would play out in the green spaces in front of the chalets, make music videos and visit the fun fair. For a child, Butlins holidays were great, but I also have memories of visiting customer services and my parents getting annoyed at their less than helpful attitude. My Mum would pack ant spray because the kitchens were infested and even as a child I noticed parts of the park were pretty run down. For an adult, I guess Butlins wasn't that fun!

When I was offered the chance to go and visit Butlins in Bognor Regis for a weekend to see how much they had changed and how great they were, I jumped at the chance! I really just wanted to see if they were still as bad as my Mum remembers.

The girls were so excited when they found out, they started packing their suitcase straight away, luckily for The Husband and me, we only gave them a week's notice...mainly because that all we had ourselves! We set off on Friday 18th July unsure of what to expect, I knew it would have changed considerably since my childhood but I don't think I was prepared for just how much!

We arrived and were greeted by very helpful staff who directed us to the Ocean Hotel where we were staying and showed us where to park. Despite the fact we arrived around 1pm we were able to check straight in and get settled as our room was ready, which was great. We found our hotel room to be clean, tidy and actually quite nice, nothing like the horror story we were expecting! We were up on the 4th floor and had beautiful views of the park and the sea.


Walking around the park was quite a surreal experience, I have so many memories of the Bognor Regis site, and yet it looks completely different. The only place that was remotely similar was the swimming pool. The girls loved the slides and the rain, unfortunately the water was a little too cold for Pop and after 5 minutes he was shivering and very cold, but we enjoyed sitting on the deck chairs wrapped in a warm towel and watching The Husband having fun with the girls!

The girls are really into water at the moment, and who could blame them with the weather being so hot. At the other end of the park to us there were some fountains the children were  encouraged to jump into and play. Baby Girl was a little apprehensive at first about getting in fully clothed, but soon caught the vision and both girls had so much fun on what was a very very hot day!



We absolutely loved our time at Butlins, and you'll be able to see the full review on the Mumsnet website soon.

Disclosure ~ We were sent to Butlins in Bognor Regis by Mumsnet and Butlins, we were put up in the Ocean Hotel for 5 nights with a bed, breakfast and dinner package. However all opinions and thoughts are my own and I retain all editorial control



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...