Sunday, 31 August 2014

Chocolate Fondant With Plum Sauce

Have you ever checked the cupboards made sure you had all the ingredients begun to make you recipe, only to realise you should have checked the cupboards more thoroughly? I'm going to pretend that all of you are nodding along in agreement, purely because it will make me fell better about myself!

I followed my recipe and when it came to adding my sugar, my heart sunk. The bag of sugar I had spotted in the cupboard earlier was almost used up. I breathed a sigh of relief when I got 100g of sugar out of the bag and even had some left over. Phew. Then it was time to add the flour. I'd opened my cupboard, seen the 12 (yes, I really do have 12 bags of flour in my cupboard, although not all of them are open!) bags of flour and assumed one of them would be plain flour. This weekend i learnt never to assume anything! not one of the bags were plain, so I substituted it for self raising, telling myself that if it all went wrong, exploded in my oven or burnt my kitchen down at least it would make a funny story. Thankfully it didn't and out came a rather nice looking fondant.

When I moved on to the plum sauce my heart yet again sank as I realised that the sugar I was happy to have left over, was needed. Unfortunately I only had 40ish grams left, and was surprised it worked just as well. I've left the original amount in the recipe below, but if you prefer less sugar, try the sauce with 40g instead of 60g.


Ingredients

For the fondants

125g butter
125g dark chocolate
4 eggs
100g caster sugar
60g plain flour

For the plum sauce

4 plums
50g caster sugar

1) melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of simmering water
2) whisk the eggs and caster sugar together until light and fluffy
3) fold the chocolate mixture and the flour into the eggs, take your time making sure there are no pockets of chocolate or flour left unmixed
4) spoon the mixture in to dariol molds (the little round pudding dishes) until they are 3/4 full
5) place the molds on to baking trays and bake at 180c for 8-10 minutes until just set.
6) While the fondants are baking, de-stone and slice up your plums. In a non stick pan, place the plum slices and sugar and leave to dissolve over a low heat. You may need to add 1-2 tbsp's of water to help the sugar dissolve depending on how juicy the plums are.
7) Just before the plums are about to break down take off the heat. Run a knife around the edge of the pudding mold and turn out on to a dish. Serve with a scoop of ice-
cream and some plum sauce.

Enjoy.


Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...