Saturday, 9 August 2014

The Great Blogger Bake Off!

I really don't think it will come as a great surprise to anyone to discover I am a BIG Great British Bake Off fan! This year, I have decided to join in with the Great Blogger Bake Off that runs along side the series hosted by Mummy Mishaps. I'm not promising to enter each week, but I will try and give it ago when I get inspired! So welcome to week 1. 

Week 1 is all about cake, the series saw contestants making Swiss Roll, Cherry Cake and producing 36 individual miniature British cakes. I loved watching and picking up tips from the contestants on how to do it and in some cases how not to! As much as I love baking and have been producing culinary masterpieces since I was 11, I have never made a Swiss Roll. I vaguely remember my cookery teacher at school showing us how to make one, but we never did it ourselves. So that's what I decided to produce for week 1, My Simple Swiss Roll.


Not bad for a first ever attempt! It would've been great to have achieved a thicker layer of butter cream, but over all I'm really please with how this turned out. 

For the cake you will need:

100g Butter
100g Caster Sugar
3 eggs
100g Self Raising flour

For the filling:

100g Butter
200g Icing Sugar
Strawberry Jam

Method:
  1. Beat the butter and sugar together. You are looking to put in as much air as possible when you do this, so using an electric mixer is best. Beat for around 3-5 minutes getting the butter and sugar as pale as possible. 
  2. Next add the eggs, add them really gradually, about a table spoon at a time. Again the more you beat and the slower you add the egg the lighter the batter is. 
  3. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon and then transfer the mixture into a rectangle tin that has been greased and lined
  4. Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
  5. While the cake is cooking, place a tea towel on the kitchen work top and cover with baking paper. 
  6. When the cake is cooked take it straight out of the oven and turn out on the baking paper and t-towel
  7. Remove the baking paper that was used to line the tin and with a sharp knife gently score the cake around 1-2cm from the shortest edge. 
  8. Using the score as a guide roll the cake in the baking paper - careful as the cake is very hot, use the tea towel to protect your hands.
  9. Leave the rolled cake to cool while you make the filling.
  10. Place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar until you have a nice stiff butter cream
  11. When the cake is cool carefully unroll, spread a thin layer of jam and butter cream over the cake and roll back up removing the baking paper as you go. 
  12. Finally dust with icing sugar and voila, a beautiful home made swill roll. 


Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...