Thursday, 8 January 2015

Sleep Deprivation

Today started as any other day, I woke up at 5am after just 4 hours broken sleep, blearily came downstairs with the 3 little ones and turned on Cbeebies, my eyes closed while they played together and watched tv. Today I just wanted to sleep, months of less than 5 hours of sleep a night are catching up with me and I could feel my patience was already thin. 

Around 11am we went upstairs to get dressed and Big girl slyly picked up a pen from my bedside table and said to Baby Girl 'come on, lets go!' without skipping a beat I said 'put that pen back', 'but I just wanted to measure us' came the response, 'not with a pen you don't' I replied, feeling quite pleased that I had managed to divert a minor incident. Dejected she started leaving the room and just as she reached the door, stopped, spun round and looked at me 'what about a pencil then?' she asked with all the innocence of a 4 year old. I laughed and shook my head, looking back I probably should have been more clear, she wasn't allowed to draw on the walls, the doors, the door frames or any other upright and standing surface in the house. But I was just too tired to answer a 4 year old's why questions, so I left it there. 

A few hours later as I was making lunch for everyone, I had 1000's of thoughts spinning around my head I needed to get them out so, I asked big girl to go and get my note pad and pen from my bedside table. She looked at me, guilt plastered all over her face and said 'I drew on the wall?' I stared at her unable to understand what she was saying, until she went on 'I was just making a surprise for you mum, I just wanted to measure us'. I should have made myself clearer.

From then on the day got worse, Baby Girl burst into tears at every opportunity, Baby Pop got his finger caught in a drawer and it swelled up to the size of a sausage and then Baby Girl threw the phone at Baby Pops head. By 4pm my patience was wearing thin and I was ready for bed, and to be honest, the girls were too! I started making some pitta pizzas only to discover just moments before putting them in the oven, despite the pittas going from shop to freezer, they were mouldy! The whole lot went in the bin and crumpets went in the toaster. Cue much whining and disappointment from the girls while I held back the tears unable to do much else.

Today has just been one of those days where its felt like one thing after another, one of those days where I just want to crawl back in bed and sleep until tomorrow. However when you have an 8 month old who sleeps like a newborn, the chance of catching up on sleep is a rare one. I'm just hoping that tomorrow we all wake up feeling happier, more awake and in a better mood than today. 

Follow me on | Facebook | Instagram


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...